As part of the Finishing Team, you are responsible for “polishing” a nearly complete WordPress website. You are the designer that puts all the pieces together, filling in gaps and completing links, so a site comes to life.
Your main duties include downloading images from our stock repositories, formatting them for size or shape, and adding them to the appropriate places on the websites. You’ll be responsible for making sure the content flows correctly, the images make sense for the content in each page or section, and there aren’t any broken links or walls of text. Essentially, you are part of the team that makes complete sites “pretty” before their full reveal to the client.
Duties and Responsibilities
A WordPress Finishing Designer is not a coder or CSS specialist. You do not need to write custom scripts or code elements that do not already exist. You are a designer that’s savvy in WordPress and website user-experience.
- Acquire appropriate images from online repositories (iStock, Getty, etc.)
- Add images, headings, excerpt text, or buttons where necessary to complete the flow of the site
- Add images and/or engaging sections to pages to correct any walls of text
- Update menus with active pages, following the proposed sitemap
- Refer to client’s live site (if applicable) to make sure sitemaps match
- Communicate with Development Director on progress and requests for further development
A WordPress Finishing Designer will share some responsibilities with the Development Director and Design Team lead. Working together, you’ll be an integral part of getting a “content complete” site across the finish line.
Skills and Qualifications
A successful WordPress Designer has technical, design, and communication skills. For example, since you will be adding content and changing design elements on a client site, you will have the technical acumen to make the changes, the design eye to know what will look best, and the right communication skills to work with the rest of the team to bring the site to life. Other important skills and qualifications for WordPress Finishing Designers include:
- Written communication skills
- Time management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Multitasking skills
- Project management skills
- Technical skills with a variety of tools
- The ability to collaborate with large teams.
- The ability to coordinate with remote employees.
Education and Training Requirements
Our WordPress Designers have a minimum of 5 years of WordPress design / building experience. Ideal candidates will also have a background in marketing or branding to better understand the context, goal, and brand of each project they take on. They do not need to be highly skilled in Adobe products like Photoshop or Illustrator, but should be comfortable editing photos for size, shape, and other minor edits. Candidates need to be a native English speaker (born in USA), and be well-spoken / able to write at a professional level.
Experience in leadership or project management is desired but not required.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!